Sunday, September 20, 2009

Charity Auction for the Susan G Komen Foundation





Starting September 27th 2009, we are auctioning off a bra a day for this cause. 100% proceeds will go to the Susan G Komen Foundation.

The charity auction will be held here~ http://myworld.ebay.com/woadieland/

One of my passions is supporting breast cancer research. The most important people in my life have been my mother and father. 4o years ago, my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. At the time, we saw a general practitioner who was our family doctor. He had a degree in "everything" basically. He also made house calls.

My mother was 40 at the time of this diagnoses, and I remember it well. The fear, and anger of wondering why this beautiful woman, this loving, giving woman would be told she had something so horrible.

Our Doctor had her admitted immediately. They did a radical mastectomy. My father brought us to the hospital to see mom, and all I remember was the whiteness of everything. She was able to come home after a week..maybe a little longer, but I also remember her pain and her moods, and the things she had to do to get her strength back in her arms. She remembers little of the ordeal, only waking up to the nurses, still in white then, and thinking she had died.

This is all so long ago now, but what stands out is she is 84, and on October 10th she will celebrate her 55th wedding anniversary to my father.

It is time for a cure. It is time for all of us to have what I had, a mother to grow up with, a sister, a daughter, a friend, a wife. Please take a moment to consider what you would do if you were faced with this. There are millions of women daily that are diagnosed with breast cancer, and they should not have to live in fear of what may happen to them or their loved ones.

The pictures above, are 2 of the bra's being auctioned, and you can also donate with taking part in the actual auctioning. The 3rd picture is of my mother when she was young.. a bit younger than 40, and not knowing what she would face. I thank god everyday that I grew up with her. She was one of the lucky ones who made it. She's a survivor. We need more of them.

4 comments:

Melinda ~ Galleria Gifts said...

Thank you for sharing your inspirational story with us! I am looking forward to this BlingMyBra Campaign on eBay! The User ID to find these auctions beginning 9/24 is woadieland on eBay!

Melinda ~ Galleria Gifts

Unknown said...

Great testimonial about your mom. What a survivor she is! Love your bling jobs, too!

The DSRS of our lives said...

Kat - We're so pleased to have you contribute to the Bling My Bra campaign = the handpainted buttons are amazing!! and the mermaid bra? WOW! such creativity!!

Give your Mom a hug for us!! Tell her we said she done Good!! (surviving and raising you!)
Beth Cherkowsky
http://www.antiquedaze.com/charityauctions

digitaldoodlebug said...

great idea to do a charity auction. i hope it goes well