Monday, March 15, 2010

Round Three

As some of you know, who follow my blog, I have had trouble with a person, calling one of my items into question. I did a post on this back in November, or December, the second time it had come up.

Let me bring you up to speed with a bit of background if your unaware of the situation. I had an item reserved until I could prove authenticity. That was done to the best of my ability, and in the eyes of the site that I sell on, was accepted. It Should have been end of story. A month later, it was brought up again, and that was when I posted the 1st blog on this. Now the bottom line is, I still do not have a valid reason why this person is so adamant on my item being a fake. If I did, I could look into it further and possibly this person would be right. BUT, Because I do not, we are at an impasse.

Well, now we are on to round three. Here is the current situation. Because the item was deemed authentic, the person in question decided for themselves that this was un-true. They then went to a public forum and slandered me. I reported the slander, but because it was off the site that I sell on, again nothing could be done about it.

Several months have passed. On Monday of this week, I had a sale. At that time, my booth items dropped by one item. As they should. After getting the item ready and going and marking shipped, I look, and my booth items again dropped by one more.

HUH?? Well, because I have been busy, and because the site is relatively new, I thought nothing of it. May have been a glitch, which has happened before. A week passes. On Saturday, I go into my batch edit to use my mark down manager. I had decided to run a sale on china. THIS did not happen, because low and behold, there sits my item that I thought was no longer in question, with a big "SUSPENDED" next to it.

For those of you who know the site, you know that you can go in and report an item as fake. You use the "bomb" button. Each report is assigned a value so people do not take advantage of it. Meaning, if I report it, it is coming from my ISP address, I cannot then keep hitting that button. Well, I can, but it does no good.

Apparently, because of this, this person who originally thought my item to be fake, recruited a lot of people on different computers, to go in and "bomb" my listing. This to me tells me I am dealing with a mentality of a child and not a professional dealer.

I would hate to sell anything to anyone that is not what I think it is, however, if I am not provided the information to research it further, then I am stuck with what I have, and that is the item is real.

At this point in this on going saga, I have decided to keep it listed. Even though the public slander is creating doubts about my own ability, I refuse to allow anyone to control how I do business. I show integrity, and honestly in dealing with my customers, and that is all I can do.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I truly find it odd that so many 'Experts" think they can simply look at a picture and 'know' its a fake.
Granted with some items this can be done... with makers marks, color, etc ..but the majority you can not .
Without contacting the seller and asking questions, this practice of saying Fake is like crying wolf .... you shall ruin your creditablity as an 'expert'

Unknown said...

That is one of the Reasons I left eBay and the site you sell on now. To have a Legal Listing ended on the word of 1 or 2 members is a shame.

The question with my items were not Authenticity it was that the other member did not like the idea of me selling it.

The Child Mentality runs rampant over there and my decision to leave was a good one. You know you can always post any 'ie' Questionable item with us as long as it is a legal item.

Kat Barton said...

Thanks James. I appreciate the offer. The problem is, it is not people there doing this, they are from a different site. That is why management cannot do anything.

As for the item being legal, again, as far as my knowledge of it goes, it is, and authentic.

What I have asked for, and not received is a basis for the persons doubt. Therefore, I cannot look into it further. I don't find that fair to me or my buyers. If you know something and are not telling me, then I can only go on what I know.

Mark Dorsey said...

@Gypsy Trading Company, Sorry this has happened to you. No doubt it must suck to have someone follow you around and wreak havoc. Incidences like this are rare on the site you mention but it also exposes an area that could use improvement. So the positive that will come out of this is that it can be fixed so that future site users do not have to deal with this. Perhaps the site will call this new tool the "Gypsy" :)

@James, "To have a legal listing ended on the word of 1 or 2 members is a shame." Perhaps that is how it is on eBay but I can assure you that that is not the case on the other site which I am sure you are referring to. While the "other site" does not disclose this number, I am certain that number is much higher.

Kat Barton said...

Hey Mark,

Thank you for the comment. (Don't believe I mentioned any particular site) But yes, I have been backed by the owners, and appreciate it greatly. The only thing that stands now, is should I pull this, or leave it. I truly care about my customers, and would be mortified if I sold something that is not what I think it is.

The problem still remains though, I do not have an answer to that question. What makes this person think it is fake? Thats all I would like to know, so I have a way to follow up.

Unknown said...

Well Gypsy, unfortunately in this case I feel the only way the answer to that question will come is from the person or persons tagging flagging your item as a fake.
Hopefully this blog will be found and the so called 'expert' shall explain their view point.

Again, it goes back to my original point... sometime a picture does NOT speak a 1000 words.
Before someone assumes something is not what it seems, research and approach the seller....you just may find out that person DOES know what they have.

Kat Barton said...

@James,

Also, the item is not questionable. Only by one person and in fact, that is the issue. I have no idea what the question is.

~K.B said...

Seriously, can you imagine that persons life, Wake up, sign on, go to your selling site, See that the item is listed, Grabs the phone or IM and starts emailing his or her tree of people,,
Be happy, You have a life and don't feel like you should follows others around.
Too Funny!
You know I do not know of the item you are speaking of, or the amount asking for it, I was wondering if you thought about listing it with the description May or May Not be Authenic, here's all the markings I've had it Authenticated, but decide for your self.
I wonder if they would still be following you.
That's sooo um,,, lame?

Kat Barton said...

Hey Kelley~ good to have you here.. He is all of 18. What else do they do at that age? lol...