Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Subjective Memories

I've been thinking about this one for awhile...actually since a very dear friend of mine passed away last June. John was my best friend, my confidant, and the one I called on for every aspect of my life, and no matter where he was, he always walked me through it.  I have very few pictures of him, and those only from about 30 years ago. We always stayed in contact after he left this area, when he passed, he was on scholarship from Tulane University in Uganda. Anyway...this post is not about John. 

I had another friend of mine, a long time ago ask me why I used a 35mm camera. I didn't believe in digital. I felt that they were to fragile. As if getting caught in the rain or pushing the wrong button could erase your memories. This friend of mine thought there was something inherently wrong with taking pictures. Memory, he would say is "magical for it's subjectivity."  Photographs were crude and the direct result of a desire to control, to hold onto moments that should be released like each breath that we take. Maybe he was right. Maybe he was wrong. We're not friends anymore and I have no pictures of him. 

The point is this. If you don't know my life or what has happened in my life, we could go back and put it together with photographs. My mother and father kept thousands of photos of us growing up. I have boxes and boxes of photos, of my life, still yet to be put in albums. Are these subjective memories. or reality? Bottom line is, I love photo's, I love the memory's and moments that, when looking at them bring that place and time, and person back to me. 

So this is to all my photographer friends. https://www.facebook.com/seattlemusicphotography?fref=ts  Scott McKinley, and Lani Linton, who have created some amazing memory's for me with their skills and expertise.  https://www.facebook.com/JaymzKPhotography/ , Bruce Campbell, and Joe Orsillo. (Sorry on links for these two) and Jeff Cook https://www.facebook.com/pages/LiveNLoud-Photography/116393811777297

and to all the amateur photographer's out there. Keep making memories. ~ Peace~ 

No comments: