Tuesday, June 4, 2019

My best friend

chttps://www.heraldnet.com/news/after-25-years-last-call-at-everetts-jimmy-zs/
Talking about my best friend.

I was asked to write an obituary for her. She asked me. Before I do that, I want to put our histories down.

The interesting thing about the link I posted under mine and Jen's photo is neither one of us know who the 31-year-old security guy is. In fact, she pulled me for security that last night they were in business and I found both security guys in the back hall smoking weed.

The news reporter did a poor job on the history of this place. Jennifer was manager and bartender from 1985 until closing. They should have spoken to her, and other regulars that were there since it was Panama's and Jimmy was just the cook.

A few years back, she was diagnosed with colon cancer. We know this will come back eventually.
Jen and I have been best friends going on 34 years. She was also my 1st boss ever.

Back in 1986, I went to work for Jimmy Z. I started as a cocktail waitress. On the day of my interview, I was later told that there was an argument between Jen and another bartender, that I would not be hired. Jen said I would not be, and Karleen said I would be. The story on that was because the owner, Jimmy supposedly liked blondes.

I was, hired, and blonde and Jen hated me. One of the guys who worked in the restaurant told me to stay away from her because she was a snake. I took this as a challenge, as I do everything in my life when I am told no, or stay away. I disregard.

Jen was hard to get to know, but I did it. I'm pretty good at reading people, and she was easy. We became friends within 6 months of me working for her. The night I stopped cocktailing and became her bouncer, was the beginning of our long friendship.

By the late 80's I had worked for other clubs and moved around a bit, but Jen and I went out at least once a week. We didn't drink every time, but when we did, you knew it. Jim would send us to other clubs to see how full they were, or what bands were playing, and expect us to report back to him. Sometimes we did, and sometimes, we were too tipsy to care. Jim and Jen had been together for about 4years by then although it was not public knowledge.

When Jen and I would get drinking, it was alway's Youkon on the rocks. We would start at the club and then hit between 3 and 5 nightclubs through the night. We also had our secret places. Like Jacks, or the bowling alley bar. She drove a little pulsar with T-tops. We would either take her car if I was drinking more, or my car if she was drinking more. Invariably it did not matter though since neither one of us should have been driving. Someone one was looking out for us because we never once got pulled over or in a wreck.

I remember my 21st birthday. Jen and Kar were close, and Jen and I were close, and then Lori and Kar were close. Lori and I were not. Anyway, the 4 of us went to the bowling alley to drink. We took the tops of Jen's car and piled in. This was in February. We were 3 sheets to the wind. All 4 of us. I remember getting back to the club and Jimmy being so mad at us that that is when he decided that we should not hang out anymore. We got into to much trouble according to him. Lori and I had a fight, she told me to get in the back of the car since my birthday was over at midnight. Jen and I still laugh about this. Lori always had issues with me. She liked band members, and I was always friends with the bands, although I never dated any of them. Lori was insanely jealous of me, so we didn't hang out often.

I have so many more stories on my relationship with Jen. 34 years worth.

Stay tuned.




No comments: