Sunday, May 26, 2019

Wages and rent.

Let's talk about wages in this state for a minute.

You all know I am a single mother. My children are grown, so I do not support them at this time. However, I will be helping with my 19-year-old, the one I spoke about in my last post.

I've looked for housing that we can afford, and there is none. It's pretty much non-existent for a single household. You need at least 2 incomes to make it work, and most times that's not enough.

There is nowhere in Washington State according to this article https://reports.nlihc.org/oor
This link shows I make 4 dollars less an hour to be able to afford a 2 bedroom home. That's just for housing. That does not include, basic needs. Food, gas, clothing, or car maintenance. Let alone, anything extra, like cable, entertainment, etc. Extra does not seem to be in the vocabulary or budget.  In all likelihood, it would also be in an area where there are drugs and crime. Although that seems to be everywhere these days.

I've changed jobs once in the last year, and now am planning on either going for another with a higher wage or getting a second job. The problem I see with this is the time I also need to help with Jake.

So what are the answers? Do we vote again for a higher minimum wage? Do we go for rent control according to the cost of living? Do we room with friends, or strangers to make ends meet? No wonder the American family has fallen apart.

In my opinion, the state of our economics has contributed to the downfall of society on a whole. It's systemic, this problem we have and no one seems to be outraged enough to find the solutions for it. I'm no longer surprised by the rate of the crime I see on a daily basis. Nor am I surprised by the constant stories I hear friends tell about what's happened with them.

I'm not surprised by the homeless problems, but for the 1st time in a long time, I fear it. I've lived life on the edge since my divorce. Not making any one decision and sticking with it. Constantly on the go and moving around. Maybe so I could not be touched or hurt again. Probably. Either way, with the situation as it is with Jake, I want that stability again. I always did, I just didn't pursue it like I am now.

We've been looking for places, and I know we will find one somewhere. It may take a job change again, it may not. Who knows, but that's where it's at. I think if someone wants something bad enough, they make it happen.

Wages and Rents? We'll figure it out. I always do but something needs to change in that department. Rent's need to change and wages need to change.

Peace~

No comments: